Saturday 26 July 2014

The Great Glen Ultra 2014


Great Glen Ultra 2014
 

This was it, my A-race, my main goal of the year, the one I had been anticipating since I screwed up the courage to enter last November. A monster 72 mile trek from Fort William all the way up the Great Glen to Inverness – a full sixteen miles further than I had ever run before and, over the second half at least, elevation to match the WHW itself. Daunting or what?


Sadly, as usual, my planning let me down this summer and, after doing not very much at all in the aftermath of a fairly respectable Highland Fling performance, I traipsed off to Italy with Alison where I ran the grand total of 10.4 miles over an entire fortnight ( this particular west of Scotland man just doesn’t do hot weather and, jeez, it was hot) which resulted in the meagre total of 84 miles in June, around half my previous monthly figures so far this year. Not the best preparation but life does get in the way of running (sometimes).

The trouble with running an ultra away from home is that you can never know just  what you will need and end up packing enough gear and food for an entire  relay team. I did just that, much to Alison’s despair, and we set off for Inverness with the car full to bursting – my six drop bags alone could have fed the five thousand! The race was due to start at 01:00 on Saturday 5th July, a new experience for me, although I had had some practice at staying up all night when supporting Ian Rae in his recent tenth WHW race completion. I believe I can hear a fanfare of trumpets at this point for Ian - only twelve other people have achieved this stupendous feat.

We decided to stay in Inverness so I could savour the race ambience on the bus down to the start in Fort William but, in hindsight, should have done what my pal John did – got a room for the night in FW and spent the evening in bed, sleeping. I should explain here that John is the Martin Duthie of Garscube Harriers, a legendary latecomer! To be fair to him, this time he turned up quite early by his standards, around half an hour before the start although this still led to him pinning his number onto his vest by the light of my head torch while we listened to the start-line briefing!

Registration had earlier taken place in the wine bar of the Moorings Hotel beside Neptune’s Staircase, only adding to the surreal feeling as we took over the bar, the lounge and especially the toilets. Many folk were having teas and coffees but I resisted the temptation yet still managed to drink too much (water). I had a pleasant chat with two lads, Jim and John, from the Highland Hill Runners, a club based in Inverness.
 

Neptune’s Staircase to Clunes,  miles one to ten

 
I thought the pre-race paperwork had been quite explicit “keep the water to your right at all times” yet here we were lined up, in front of the starting arch, on the right-hand (east) side of the Caledonian Canal. (Turns out the instruction was to keep the lochs on your right-hand side, once again I didn’t read the briefing properly!) What the hell, I must have missed something I thought, I’ll just follow everyone else. Which is what I did for the first six or seven miles jouking from left to right to avoid the pothole-like puddles which could easily have led to a twisted ankle, never mind not wanting to get your feet soaking at the start of such a long run. It also meant running with my head well down in order to see where I was putting my feet by the light of my Lidl head torch. John had mentioned earlier that he rarely used his torch, a statement which puzzled me at the time but I hadn’t had the chance to find out more before the race started. As the runners thinned out I began to realise how clearly I could see the moonlight reflected from the canal so turned off my light and  found I was now searching for the puddles fifteen to twenty yards away thus improving my running posture at a stroke. Simples!

I would dearly love to come back and run this first section again in daylight as, according to the map, we ran over/passed two aqueducts and a swing bridge – lovely night as it was becoming sadly, in the darkness, we were oblivious to the sights although I did hear someone having what sounded like a party on the far side of the water. We ultrarunners do keep strange hours.

The towpath ended at Gairlochy where we were directed, by the first of the wonderful marshalls, over a bridge and onto a B-road along the west side of Loch Lochy.  Sadly here the bright wheeze of running with only the moonlight let me down badly as I began to realise I could no longer see the lights of the three runners who had been a short distance ahead. Stopping to look around I heard voices and, looking to my left, once again saw the lights fifteen yards or so away and a similar height above. Not once thinking of retracing my steps to find the turning I had so obviously missed I jumped down a couple of feet into what looked like waist-high ferns. Not so. Hitting the ground almost four feet below I felt the shock travel up my legs and into my spine! Ouch - this wasn’t how my big race was meant to end. Without a great deal of choice in the matter I stood still for a couple of minutes letting the pain subside before clambering up the slope towards the path discovering as I went that there were brambles lurking underneath the innocent ferns, I could feel the thorns scraping my shins although couldn’t do much about it but carry on - my heart told me I wasn’t keeping calm! Reaching the path at last I hurriedly started to run before the runners behind realised what a numptie I’d been yet almost burst out laughing at the absurdity of it all when I saw the path meander down to cross the same road a hundred yards further on - I could have stayed on the road the whole time, avoided my painful detour and saved myself a few minutes. Doh! 

The next mile or so was spent carefully (head torch now back on) avoiding tree roots as we ran along and through the lightly wooded shore giving the most gorgeous views up the length of the loch. Remember this was still well before dawn yet I remain convinced I saw purples and greens in the sky. Were we too far south for the northern lights? Memorable nonetheless.
 
Sadly we left the magical woods far too soon and were back on the same road leading to the wartime Commando training grounds of Achnacarry. It was here that the adrenalin from my scrambling escapade took over and I swiftly passed the three runners whom I  had been happily bimbling along behind. I remember commenting on the way past to Rhona McKinnon how hard Stonehaven folk must be as she was running in just her club vest. By way of contrast I was wearing a technical tee-shirt, gloves, beanie, neck buff and a jacket. See hard? See me? Not. In my defence I would like to point out it was a short-sleeved tee!  At this point my bladder saved me from expending too much energy early in the race by sending clear instructions to my legs to move to the side of the road. (Male) Runners do it anywhere! While stationary I realised what was happening and consciously re-started at a far more conservative pace which resulted in the four of us arriving at the first checkpoint together. This would be the first of many meetings with the same lovely marshals as they leapfrogged us up the length of the Great Glen, not only giving up their weekend for us runners but also an entire nights’ sleep.
Always the first thing I take at a stop I quickly gulped down a banana milkshake (it works for me) while John Duncan filled my previously empty bottle with water. A wee trick I had learned last year at the Glen Ogle 33 from Anni Johnstone was not to carry any fluid from the start if the first checkpoint isn’t too far away thus cutting down on weight. (In that race the checkpoint was only seven miles from the start and she didn’t carry anything at all, her prepared race pack doubling as her drop bag.) Having really nailed my nutrition/fluid strategy at the Fling this year I once again left each checkpoint eating half an orange and half a banana only running once I was finished eating. I found this kept me strong longer than any combination of gels, bars, tablet, etc. In fact I only used two or three gels during this race as I’m getting to the point where I really can’t face them. Sadly I bought boxes of them cheaply last year and can’t quite bring myself to waste money by throwing them out. I suppose they’re a handy emergency fuel source to carry, but from now on it’s ‘in case of emergency only’

Clunes to Laggan, miles ten to twenty

I exited the checkpoint before the others and quickly found myself amongst a group of Irish lads who lifted my spirits just with their patter, thanks guys. The next few miles along the forestry tracks on the west side of the loch were thankfully uneventful although I do recall being pleased with my pace and that I was running more uphills than usual. Pre-race chatter had suggested the first half of the race was ‘pretty flat’, I would suggest otherwise and , unusually, the word undulating would be fairly accurate. I also recall looking across the loch at a couple of cars heading north, just like us, and idly wondering what folk were doing and where they were going at that time of day. No doubt they, in turn, would have speculated what we were doing had they been able to see us, probably along the lines of  “What are those nutters doing?”  

Eventually I descended through a farmyard to the sight below of boats sitting serenely at anchor on the misty loch, see above, before it was up and over another big hill and down on to the A82 for a few yards before turning off into checkpoint two. Here I met Graeme McKinnon (husband of the afore-mentioned Rhona) with whom I had had a brief chat in the early stages of the D33 back in March (his first ultra, I believe). As a runner himself he knew exactly how a marshall can help to make the eating and drinking as speedy and painless as possible and I was soon on my way again, only to be told I was heading in the wrong direction and to turn 180 degrees and head up the big hill out the back. Nooooooooo! Oh well, I was going to walk while eating anyway.

Laggan to Fort Augustus, miles twenty to thirty

On and on this hill went but, in truth, I now remember very little at all of running the length of Loch Oich other than running through Invergarry and out the other side and, you’ve guessed it, up another hill, this time so steep the path switch-backed it’s way up. Eventually the Great Glen Way came down and out of the forest at the very top of the loch and turned left back onto the canal path for what should have been a nice little three to four mile plod alongside the water in the lovely morning mist and sunshine (see pic below). Almost every runner I spoke to afterwards talked about how hard they
 


 found this section which chimed with my own feelings as it was here I was forced to walk/run on the flat for the first time. My left hip was also giving me some grief, the result of a heavy fall crossing Rannoch Moor two weeks previously. Two paracetamol were consumed at this point, far earlier than I had intended/hoped and I don’t mind admitting my head was well down wondering how I was going to cope with the ‘harder’ parts of the race to come if I couldn’t even run along the canal? However if there is one thing I have learned from my previous ultras over the last three years it is just as there are ups and downs in every race in an ultra they’re just bigger and last longer, I knew from experience I would stick it out and that the next checkpoint was just at the end of the canal. Managing to shovel a couple of gels (eugh!) down my neck to give me a quick hit, oddly, the thing that helped the most, was catching Jim Meehan, the Irish lad I had been talking to in the pub before the start, who was clearly in some trouble and walking slowly. Having a chat with him and trying to talk him out of dropping out or at least to put off making a decision until he’d sat down and got some food inside himself helped me completely forget my own troubles. I also realised I was way ahead of the tentative schedule Alison and I had discussed the day before and soon was happily picking up the pace on the way into Fort Augustus, downhill past the locks and into the care of two Kirkintilloch ultra ladies, Susan and Ada, apologies as I don’t know the other ladies names but you all have my thanks. Camping chairs were lined up ready for me to flop into while shovelling down my mandarin orange segments and rice pudding all the while sarcastically asking Ada who had said the first half was flat, as though it were her fault – sorry Ada, but at least you know when to ignore an emotional runner (and when to give him a good kick up the backside, or so I’ve heard! That might be required next time…)

 
Fort Augustus to Invermoriston, miles thirty to forty

After another quick pep talk with Jim I walked through Fort Augustus simultaneously eating a banana and calling Alison, who by this time, 07:35, was already on her way down the A82 for our 08:00 rendezvous, oops. She took the news surprisingly calmly, telling me how well I was doing – she’s getting very good at this support thing! I should mention at this point that the organisers, BaM Racing, (Bill Heirs and Mike Adams) had arranged that anything we wanted to leave at a checkpoint, provided it fitted into the dropbag, would be returned to the finish for our collection. This was a godsend as I could ditch my jacket, beanie, gloves, hand and head torches thereby running much lighter without losing expensive gear – ok, the Lidl torch wasn’t expensive but you get my drift (it was heavy).

After saying cheerio to Alison I started chatting to Ivan Bertram, who had posted a recce. report on facebook prior to the race and yet, unbelievably, we promptly missed a turning! Ivan realised we had gone wrong almost immediately so we turned around and bumped into another runner, still eating, who said he was “just following you two”. As the three of us climbed, inevitably, out of the town Ivan dropped back and I got chatting to the other lad, George Chalmers, although I didn’t know his name until later. We carried on together through the forest along what proved to be a fairly pleasant section, at least I think it was as I don’t have any memories of cursing and swearing at the terrain! We congratulated each other along this section as we were now over half way to Inverness, woo hoo. George spotted Invermoriston through the trees but with the path veering away inland he began to wonder if we had missed another turn off but this part of the route I did remember from my map so we carried on and eventually picked up the road into the village.

My heart sank as I saw John Duncan for the third time that day as he was wearing a midgie net - Invermosiston had turned into midgie central - but Alison had partially saved the day by taking my dropbag from a slightly miffed Graeme McK. and taking it to our car at the far end of the car park where the wee swines were less prevalent (the midgies, not the marshals). I did not feel like eating but Alison helpfully suggested a roll and cheese which I really enjoyed scoffing along with a warm cup of black coffee, she very graciously waited until I had finished before pointing out it had been intended for her breakfast! Never mind, the village shop was just across the road. I could see George out of the corner of my eye seemingly faffing about with his waist-pack, was he waiting for me? If so I was more than happy to hurry up and join him as he had been excellent company.




Invermoriston to Drumnadrochit, miles forty to fifty

Past the village shop before Alison could clip me round the ear we were soon faced with what we both knew was only the second-biggest climb of the day yet worryingly it went on and on and on and on so much so that the cursing and swearing were in full flow now, sorry you had to hear all that Geo. Not that he was exactly happy himself! At one point I glanced at my Garmin and was dismayed to see we were at 24 minute miling - wtf? We went up and up and, in true hill walking tradition, every time we thought we were at the top we weren’t, it was only another ridge with another in front of us. We eventually came out at the treeline but even then the terrain rolled up and down, finally forcing us to acknowledge what we had been refusing to admit, we were way off course - merde! I recall stopping to place an extra stone on a cairn (a throwback to my hill-walking days, never pass a cairn without adding to it) as I thought we didn’t need any more bad luck. Deciding jointly that we were still heading in roughly the right direction we carried on and came upon a viewpoint looking down over  Loch Ness that was just so stunningly beautiful we couldn’t not stop and take photos of each other. Just a shame no one else was there to take one of us together, the two eejits that got lost  went off course slightly! I was told later by someone who knows the route well that we had taken a much harder route than the correct one so I trust we won’t be accused of trying gain an advantage.


After studying my Harvey map of the GGW a few days ago and looking closer on Google maps I reckon we missed the second right-hand fork after Invermoriston and didn’t re-join the route for several miles although I still don’t have a clue where that may have been. Having since read some other blog reports it would appear we were not the only ones to go wrong at this point but the first other runner I recall seeing was just prior to coming out of the forest and on to another minor road when Alyson Mcpherson came up behind and began chatting away to George. This was when I learned that both of them had lined up for the start of the Cateran 110 back in May and only much later learned that Alyson was a ten-time finisher of the WHW race! Why were these two slumming it with me?! Lovely people. Shortly we were very glad to stumble across the intermediate 45 mile water stop, manned by a couple and seemingly in the middle of nowhere. I was slightly perturbed to realise we had only covered five miles since Invermoriston but as both George and I had run out of fluid during our epic climb we were delighted to accept the coke and water on offer. I found out later that the guy manning this water station had actually started the race but had to drop out early on then the two of them then spent hours high up above Loch Ness assisting us wilting runners – fabulous guys, many thanks. After leaving them along another steady uphill we finally saw the road stretching straight ahead of us at which point Karen caught us up and with a great glass-half-full attitude cheered us up no end. Soon I was leading us along the path near the road only to almost trip over Ivan, stretched out “trying to get some sleep” - presumably he had got in front of us again by taking the proper way. It was just after this point that the stone in my shoe which I had been trying for miles to work into my toes started digging into my sole. This was due to another mistake on my part as I had thrown my road Sauconys into the car at the last minute after reading that trail shoes were unnecessary but forgot that I had no velcro on the back of them and consequently couldn’t wear my nice new tartan gaiters (supplied by the lovely Janice Miller). Probably a consequence of the very dry conditions I was plagued all day with grit in my shoes but only this once had to stop and empty them. I hate taking my shoes off during a run – I can’t bend over to reach very well (even sitting down), my fingers don’t work properly and I get irrationally angry with myself. This time I had the sense to make use of the wasted time by taking another couple of gels and a huge swig of Nuun. After a brief chat with two Stonehaven girls who were concerned why I had been sitting beside the road I then charged along off onto a forest track and down a gradual descent chasing the others who had disappeared from sight. Soon I had to rein in my enthusiasim and slow down as the slope was becoming steeper and my quads and left knee were not coping too well. I eventually caught George, we came back out onto the A82 and started the long shuffle to the checkpoint. After our tacit agreement to run together earlier we decided in advance this time to run out together which, in practice, meant I would wait for him as he was away to spend a penny (actually 20p) at the public facilities. (Good advance warning Karen, he had plenty of coins!)

This time Graeme was able to have my drop bag ready and waiting for me as my wife was having forty winks in the car although she roused herself to assist very quickly. What was particularly appreciated this time was a quick wipe down with a wet flannel, perfect for getting rid of the sweat, flies and general accumulated grime. I  noticed that not a few runners also like to brush their teeth at this stage which I might try in the future as by this point I’ve been cramming fruit, rice pudding, sweets, bars, gels and other assorted rubbish into my mouth for fourteen hours or so, and as a result my tongue felt like the proverbial gorilla’s armpit. Alison also washed the blood from my shins so I felt like a new man (I wish) as I prepared to say goodbye because we wouldn’t see each other again until the finish.

Drumnadrochit to Abriachan, miles fifty to sixty

For once it wasn’t onwards and upwards instead we hiked along the A82 for what the map says is about a mile but seemed much longer, just onwards and onwards, ever onwards. Eventually we reached the turn off near to a large road sign cruelly informing us it was fourteen miles to Inverness when we both knew our chosen path would be a good deal more. At this point the discomfort in my left hip and right knee (or was it the left?) made me try the Morton stretch recommended by George, which consisted of hanging on to a post and squatting down on my hunkers and back up again - not sure it helped but it certainly didn’t do any harm and did stretch out the hamstrings. This time the path, although still climbing steadily, followed the contour of the hill rather than zig-zag upwards and I seemed better able to cope with this, also maybe the thought we were on the last leg cheered me up. I think it was while we were still quite exposed high on the hillside that we were hit by a sudden downpour which very quickly turned to hailstones! I struggled to get my jacket on in time but it certainly cooled us down. We came to a junction with a blue waymarker but no direction on it, very helpful and agreed left was probably correct but worried for a long way before finally spotting another blue post – phew! In no time at all we were running downhill through the forest and, lo and behold, away to our right, was the amazing sight of hi-viz jackets in the distance - checkpoint six already after only around seven miles. A fairly brief stop here as neither of us had much appetite although George did get a skoosh of anti-midge spray which I declined as they only ever annoy me when stationary (me that is, not the midgies) Over the road and straight into a fairly recently planted forest where the young trees were so close together we had to run with our arms up in front of our faces resulting in us both getting another soaking from the wet leaves. Resisting the temptation to call into what must be one of Scotland’s most remote cafes in the middle of this forest (I would have loved a cafetiere of coffee just then but would probably have happily stayed there for the rest of the day) we reached another quiet country road. Long and fairly straight, we kept our selves going by running to the next blue or green  wheelie bin then walking for a bit then running again, walking, running, you get the picture. George was really helping me along here as I was struggling and also varied the routine by suggesting running/walking thirty seconds on and off. Off the road and up, yes up, and there was Irish Jim ahead (the guy who had been intending to pull out at thirty miles!) also run/walking. We gradually reeled him in, chatted briefly, and were on our way again into what we both remembered from the map as a small forest. Beautiful place it was but it went on for what turned out to be four miles before we finally had our first view of Inverness, below in the distance. I undoubtedly got a real lift from seeing our goal and suddenly everything was round the other way, I was powering ahead while George was having difficulty keeping up. Spotting an extra water station ahead we took the joint decision that we were going to run straight through as stopping at this stage, unless we really had to, would have been a mistake, although we both managed cheery smiles and waves, I think George knew the marshals. Continuing on along what turned out to be a long, long downhill (two miles?) past a lovely old building (an old hospital or country pile?), through a housing estate, finally past the golf course, a few hundred yards along the canal, across the swing bridge and into Bught Park athletics stadium. Avoid stumbling over the three-inch high kerb at the edge of the track, pick up the pace into the home straight and cross the finish line, shaking hands as we do. Nice one!

Over the last few miles I had been encouraging George along by saying we could definitely finish in sub-eighteen hours and joking that 17:59:59 would sound so much better than 18-something. In the end we managed this very comfortably in 17:32:49 but it was Alison, backed up by Ada, who made the pair of us realise we had actually finished in 16:32:49, an entire hour off our time! I hadn’t remembered that my watch was now displaying real time and not, as I thought, elapsed time - ya beauty!

 

Sunday 6th July

The prize-giving at ten o’clock the following morning was the usual entertaining fun, runners hirpling slowly and with difficulty to the front of the hall to receive their race whisky and tumbler.

 
 
A very nice touch was the final finisher, Helen Munro, also being awarded the Lanterne Rouge silver salver, a beautiful memento - see below. 
 
Also worth mentioning, for different reasons, was the length of the post-prize giving celebrations in The King’s Highway, the Inverness Wetherspoon. Apparently (I wasn’t there myself, you understand, had I started drinking at that time of day I would have been asleep by two o’clock!) some were still there approaching midnight – as someone pointed out on facebook, a drinking session longer than the time it took Mike Raffan to win the race! 

 
And no, we didn't see this guy!
 
 
Some numbers;

86 starters, 76 finishers, therefore 10 dnfs, 1 DQ - currently under appeal

72 miles, 10,800 feet of ascent, 6 checkpoints, two additional water stations

Eight paracetamol ingested – about right for my ailments on the day.

The winner was, as widely predicted, Mike Raffan in 10:48:43

Leading lady was either Morgan Windram-Geddes in 11:45:44 or Antonia Wesley in 12:20:39, depending on the result of the appeal.

My pal John McLaughlin ran 12:05:46 to finish in a fantastic sixth place and would have been faster but had the misfortune to arrive at the swing bridge over the canal while some craft were passing through and had no choice but to stand and wait! At least he had the chance to compose himself for the photos at the finish line!

Highland Hill Runners, Jim Meehan 16:40:12 and John Moffat 13:56:10

Believe it or not, Harley Davidson finished 26th in 14:36:52 and, no, he completed the course on two legs not two wheels!

Anni Johnstone was 38th overall and 5th lady in 15:51:49 and her husband Alan in 14:29:23

Alyson McPherson was 7th lady home in 16:24:02, Karen Donoghue 16:32:17

George and I were either 46th or 47th equal (depending on above appeal)  in 16:32:49

Ivan Bertram woke up to run home in 16:50:34

Rhona came over the line in 17:42:18

The final runner was home in 21:51:28 which meant BaM and helpers could get to the pub before closing time!

 

Lessons learned;

Apart from the first two miles or so I got the pace just about right, I am getting better at this aspect

Need a better quality head torch

Must put velcro on my shoes before I leave home

Put a toothbrush and toothpaste in a later dropbag

Try Babybels as a dropbag food (highly recommended by George)

Impressions;

Probably because of miserable weather at the GO33 last year I hadn’t appreciated just how

good a race experience BaM provide, absolutely fantastic guys. It is, of course, also down to

the people on the day and that is the fantastic ultra-running community who never cease to

amaze.

My only minor suggestion to BaM would be to improve the accuracy of the

distances between checkpoints in the race briefing as they were, at times, significantly

inaccurate, plus and minus approximately three miles.

Photographs;  

I can’t remember who took which shot so general photo credits go to Rhona McKinnon, Nicola Martin, Helen Munro and BaM Racing. If I’ve missed anyone, please let me know and I’ll add them to the list.

Conclusions;

I can heartily recommend this wonderful race to anyone and firmly believe it will go from strength to strength over the years to come. I may even run it again myself some day, although not next year. I have a big decision to make between now and November and, as I write, I genuinely do not know what my main target for next year will be. This is not the time to commit myself before I have recovered both physically and mentally from this epic race.

By the way, if anyone is on the Great Glen Way in the coming weeks, please keep your eye out for my running mojo as I seem to have misplaced it! I’m sure it will come back eventually.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment